Great Staughton Surgery is running a ‘Stay Well’ campaign for common ailments - Spring/Summer 2018
Don’t let hay fever spoil your summer
Did you know you don’t need to see your GP for hay fever treatment?
Hay fever and seasonal allergy treatments such as tablets, eye drops and nasal sprays are all easily available at low cost from your local pharmacy – no prescription from your GP required!
Antihistamines are usually the best treatment for hay fever and these can easily be bought from local pharmacies or supermarkets. Buying a packet of 30 tablets can cost as little as £2, but if a patient goes to their GP to get a prescription then it costs the NHS considerably more.
By going to the pharmacy you’ll be saving yourself time and money, freeing up GP appointments for people with more urgent needs as well as doing your bit to help the NHS save money on unnecessary prescription costs.
For more information about treating allergies or to find your nearest pharmacy and opening times visit www.nhs.uk
Top tips to help ease hay fever symptoms:
- Keep house and car windows closed, especially when the pollen count is high (early morning between 7am to 9am and evenings between 5pm and 7pm)
- Avoid large grassy areas, woodland, cutting the grass and car fumes
- Wear wrap-around sunglasses
- Use petroleum jelly inside your nose to block inhalation of pollen
- Don’t dry washing outside to avoid pollen sticking to your clothes
- When you get in from outside wash your hands, face, hair, rinse your eyes and change your clothes.
Stock up for summer!
The warmer weather often means that we spend more time getting out and about. That’s why it is even more important to make sure you stock up on some summer self-care essentials in case you need them.
Key first aid essentials include:
- Painkillers, such as paracetamol or ibuprofen - Stocked in dispensary
- Antihistamines for allergies/hay fever - Stocked in dispensary
- Antiseptic cream for bites and stings - Stocked in dispensary
- Sunscreen at least factor 15
- Plasters and bandages
- Diarrhoea/constipation relief medication - Stocked in dispensary
- Travel sickness medication